What is it?
BTEC IT includes exams, synoptic assessments, practical tasks and theory. Incorporating a wide range of topics including website development, information technology, database design and the use of Social Media in Business, Programming, Project Management and Cybersecurity are just a few of the areas you will study. The triple also includes specialised topics such as Computer Game Development, 2D and 3D graphics and IT Service Delivery.
The course opens the door to careers in both IT and business.
Why study this subject at Blackpool Sixth?
We use ‘live’ scenarios, raising funds for charities, incorporating work experience and working in our computer lab to develop practical skills. Ideal for entry into the workplace or university. You will visit the college technical support team and tour the college’s network system. Trips to Business & IT Live at Disney Paris and New York are highlights of the year.
What skills will I develop?
- Teamwork. Groups are often asked to work on group tasks together promoted collaborative learning.
- Personal motivation, organisation and time management. With doing a double BTEC you will often get work from both tutors, with different deadlines. It will be up to you in order to manage your time in order to deadlines set by both tutors.
- Written communication. There are a variety of ways that assignments are handed in, one of the main ones being typed assignments.
- Research skills. You will develop research skills as often you will be given group tasks that will involve doing group or independent revision using the internet.
- Information technology. You will be taught how to use different pieces of software for different purposes. Your information technology skills will be developed throughout using different hardware and software.
- Hardware installation. You will learn how to diagnose faults and replace hardware components.
- Professional software use. You will independently develop your use of industry standard software.
How will I be taught?
- Demonstrations. Sometimes you will be demonstrated to by the teacher on how to use a particular piece of software or how to connect pieces of hardware together.
- Practical tasks and collaborative learning.
- Practise tasks will be given before the formal assessments.
- Group discussions and debates.
How will I be assessed?
Fiona – professionally designed websites and specialises in computer systems.
Chelsie – creative media specialising in the design side of ICT.
Clair – Spreadsheets, databases and networks.
Carly – Programming and computing.
Field trips, projects and employability opportunities
For students interested in programming, Computing Club 6Advance is available. BTEC students will also take part in the Employability awardm this incorporates work experience and volunteering in the local community.
Where does it lead?
We have had students going into a wide range of areas including apprenticeships such as marketing and social media for Winter Gardens Blackpool, Civil Service. One student has gone on to study ICT at an American University. We also have students going to university to study courses such as systems and networking, website design and game development.
Equipment is provided by college. A home computer, laptop or tablet would be desirable in order to complete assignments from home. It isn’t essential because the FYi is available out of college ours in order to complete assignments.
What will I study?
- Unit 1 Communication and Employability Skills for ICT
- Unit 2 Computer Systems
- Unit 23 Human Computer Interaction
- Unit 25 Maintaining Computer systems
- Unit 28 Website Production
- Unit 29 Installing and Upgrading Software
- Unit 30 Digital Graphics
- Unit 31 Computer Animation
- Unit 43 Multimedia Design
- Unit 3 Information Systems
- Unit 8 e-Commerce
- Unit 10 Communication Technologies
- Unit 13 IT Systems, Trouble Shooting and Repair
- Unit 18 Database Design
- Unit 22 Developing Computer Games
- Unit 36 Computer Game Platforms and Technologies
- Unit 37 2D Animation Production
- Unit 42 Spreadsheet Modelling
- Standard for the BTEC programme