What is it?
BTEC Business covers many areas including marketing, recruitment, retailing, human resources and employment law. You will have access to careers including management, marketing, events management, entrepreneurship and finance.
Why study this subject at Blackpool Sixth?
As part of studying business at Blackpool Sixth you will take part in organising your own event and have the opportunity to participate in the Business Live conference at Disneyland Paris.
What skills will I develop?
You will develop life essential skills such as meeting deadlines, working in groups, managing a workload and organisation, presentation skills and interview skills, team-working and independence in a career relevant area.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught in a wide variety of ways including – group work, independent learning, online learning, teacher-led work, researching and presentation.
How will I be assessed?
A mixture of controlled Assessments, a written exam and course work.
There is a wide range of experience and expertise in the department. There are staff with over ten years teaching experience who perform roles for the examining boards and standards verification. There are staff with over 15 years of industry experience and there are newer staff with the latest training and most cutting edge knowledge.
Field trips, projects and employability opportunities
As part of taking Business at Blackpool Sixth you will take part in organising your own event and have the opportunity to participate in the Business Live conference at Disneyland Paris. There is also the opportunity to be involved in the Career Ready Academy.
Where does it lead?
Students can go on to a wide range of careers after studying business as business sits comfortably ,is relevant to and supports a wide range of other subjects , for example a photographer could study business to support them starting their own business.
An example student is Georgia who by taking the course obtained the skills required to gain an apprenticeship at BAE Systems.
Another example of a student is Alex who went on to Lancaster University to study business further and has now gone on to work in human resources at a major firm in London.
Access to an electronic device to take notes and write assignments is essential. Such as Chromebook/iPad/laptop.
What will I study?
- Unit 1: Exploring Business (Internally Assessd)
- Unit 2: Developing a Marketing Campaign (Controlled assessment)
- Unit 3: Personal and Business Finance (Written Exam)
- Unit 22: Market Research (Internally Assessd)
- Unit 4 Managing an Event (Internal Assessed)
- Unit 5 International Business (Internal Assessment)
- Unit 8 Recruitment and Selection (Internal Assessment)
- Unit 6 Principles of Management (Controlled Assessment)
- Unit 27 Work Experience in Business (Internal Assessment)
- Unit 7 Business Decision Making (Controlled Assessment)
- Unit 19 Pitching for a Business (Internal Assessment)
- Unit 14 Investigating Customer Service (Internal Assessment)