Student Council Mission Statement and Objectives
Mission Statement for 2019-20
To ensure college life is student-led and student-focused in order to build a college community we can all be proud of.
Principle Objectives for 2019-20
In 2019-20 we aim to build on the successes of our previous year and establish a presence that is bigger and better than ever before. Top on our list will be continuing the success of the following initiatives:
- You Said We Did slides sent to pastoral mentors were effective and gave rise to interesting and sometimes lively debate. We repeatedly noticed an uptick in the number of emails sent to us about problems students had each time one of these slides was sent out.
- The Student Council Elections provided energetic debate in pastoral mentor sessions and increased engagement with the Council. We will be sure to repeat the process next spring.
- Student Cinema events were well-attended and we were happy to see that many students did not mind staying on after 1:30 on a Wednesday. We feel it achieved its aim of relaxing students during revision time and will be sure to carry it forward next year.
2018-19 saw many opportunities that were excellent in principle but we were not able to execute to their utmost capacity. We will be consolidating the following ideas to ensure they are the best they can be:
- Learn to Live Week did not go ahead due to too few members being available as a result of exam season. We will begin planning Learn to Live Week from September for it to take place immediately following the January Mocks. We feel this will solve last year’s issues.
- NUS Cards and Blackpool Sixth hoodies were an excellent fundraising opportunity but not maximised to their utmost potential. We aim to have measures in place by September that will increase sales to the point where we can fund the Council for the next two years.
- The branding of the Council was a consistent feature in negative feedback against our initiatives this year. We aim to alter our image to a more ‘adult’ organisation in 2019-20.
We are also excited to announce several completely new initiatives for 2019-20. Foremost amongst these will be the following:
- Our Partnership with Blue Skies will expand throughout the year and we aim to organise a number of events fundraising for the charity.
- Creating a Student Council Community Award that will both expand participation in non-academic life and aid students financially.
- Promote mental wellbeing through both charity and college-centric initiatives to combat exam stress.
- Increase the range and scope of extracurricular activities available to all students.