What will you study and other information about Sociology A-Level
- Families and households – why has there been an increase in divorce? Is the position of children better in society today than 100 years ago?
- Education – why are girls achieving higher than boys in education? What social and political changes have taken place in education over the last 100 years?
- Research methods – which is the best research method to use to investigate society? How do sociologists ensure they obtain truthful data for their research?
- Sociological theory – theories such as Marxism, feminism, and postmodernism.
- Beliefs in society – has there been a decline in religious beliefs in the UK? What motivates people to join new religious movements such as cults and sects?
- Crime and deviance – what motivates people to turn to crime? Is imprisonment effective?
- Debates in sociology – does sociology influence government laws and policies?
- Is sociology a science? Further study into sociological theory and methods – is society based on harmony or conflict?
There is no requirement to purchase a textbook for sociology.
If students wish to purchase a resource to assist with their studies the recommended textbook is AQA A Level Sociology Book 1 by Rob Webb, Hal Westergaard, Keith Trobe, and Annie Townend (2015), ISBN: 978-0-954007- 91-1, approximately £25.