What is it?
A dynamic and energising course, sport and exercise sciences will prepare you for careers in sport. You will study a variety of units ranging from the study of Skill Acquisition to sports injury Management.
Why study this subject at Blackpool Sixth?
With strong links with higher education institutes, we tailor our learning and assessment methods to meet the requirements of universities. Strong employer links ensure that our students are exposed to the sports industry gaining vital experience.
What skills will I develop?
- Leadership – you will take charge of your progress on the course and lead small groups within research projects.
- Communication – through presentations and coaching, leading and taking part in practical sessions.
- Confidence – as part of the college community you will meet different people from different high schools and backgrounds.
- Time management – the BTEC course requires good time management, you will need to meet deadlines throughout the year to ensure you get the best grade possible.
- Organisation – BTEC requires you to make and keep notes well organised throughout the year, whilst balancing workload to ensure that you meet deadlines.
- Listening skills – as part of the course you will take part in group discussions which require you to discuss your ideas whilst listening to the opinions of others.
How will I be taught?
- Video blogs
- Audio assessments
- Video analysis
How will I be assessed?
30% controlled assessment.
BSc Hons Degree in Sport and Exercise Sciences, BTEC Standards Verifier, part of the leadership team within Pearson examination board, examiner. With all staff in the Sports Department working in the sector and specifically the level 3 BTEC for 5 years or more.
Field trips, projects and employability opportunities
You will visit a number of local universities where you will use the latest sports science equipment as part of your studies, getting you familiar with equipment and experimental procedures that can be used in the industry and university straight after college.
We have strong links with Blackpool FC, Fleetwood Town FC and Fylde Rugby Club as well as local sports centres and coaches.
Where does it lead?
All industries in sport including but not limited to: sports journalism, sports scientist, match analyst, sports therapy, physiotherapy. Students that study this course are often successful in achieving placements on physiotherapy courses at university, courses that receive 600 applicants for 30 spaces.
Sport Kit purchased through Pro Am Sports. This consists of a compulsory T-shirt and jacket with the option to purchase kit shorts and tracksuit bottoms. This is a technology for learning scheme so an Ipad/Chromebook/Laptop is required for daily use.
- Two grade 4s in GCSE combined science or grade 4 in GCSE Biology.
What will I study?
The following units are covered in this course include
Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
Coaching for Performance and Fitness
Biomechanics in Sport and Exercise Science