The Blackpool Sixth Form College Corporation
Governance: Role of the Governing Body
The Blackpool Sixth Form College is an incorporated body. It is governed by a board of 17 directors. The role of the Board of Directors is to:
- Agree the strategic direction for the college and ensure clarity of vision and ethos
- Hold the Principal to account for the educational performance of the college and its students and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the college, making sure that it remains solvent and that money is well spent.
There is a clear difference between governance and the day-to-day management of the college. The Principal and her Senior Leadership Team are responsible for the operation of the college within the strategic direction agreed by the Corporation.
Chair of Directors’ Message – Wendy Middlemas
In this my final term as Chair at Blackpool Sixth Form College, I am delighted to be able to deliver this message on behalf of the Directors. When I wrote my message in 2020, little did I think that we would continue to face the difficulties presented by the Coronavirus pandemic. The past year has again made significant demands on the leadership team, staff and students at the college. In order to keep everyone safe while delivering the curriculum and responding to Government guidelines, has required significant adjustments to be made. The Directors are extremely grateful for the creative and caring way in which the leadership team and staff have continued to offer a high-quality educational experience for all students during this very difficult year.
As public examinations were cancelled again in 2021, students’ course results were based on Teacher Assessed Grades. Despite all the difficulties of this Covid year, the college’s students achieved an outstanding 99.6% pass rate across all areas. This reflects the passion, dedication and professionalism of the college staff. It also illustrates how resilient and determined our
students have been during yet another disrupted year. Last year I described The Blackpool Sixth Form College as,
‘a beacon of excellent educational provision in Blackpool’. These results and the high level of satisfaction that both students and staff continue to express about their college experience, demonstrate that Blackpool Sixth continues to shine
very brightly. The Directors are extremely proud of everyone at the college and wish these students every success in the future.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my role as Chair of Directors at the Blackpool Sixth. It has been a real privilege to work closely with such a talented Principal and Senior Leadership Team. I also wish to thank the Directors who offer to the college their many skills, time and support, so selflessly.
I wish everyone at Blackpool Sixth Form College continued success in the future.
How to contact the Governing Body
To get in touch with the governing body please contact our governance administrator and clerk to the corporation, Sue Hawitt, via the following options:
- By post to FCAT Central Offices, Armfield Academy, 488 Lytham Road
- By email at: email@example.com
- c/o Armfield Academy on 01253 207709
More information about the Governing Body
- Guide to the Governing Body (June 2021)
- Directors meetings 2021-22
- Securing new members to the Corporation (June 21)
- Code of Conduct (June 2020)
- Standing Orders (June 2021)
- Instrument and Articles of Government
- Instrument and Articles of Government Modification Order
- Governing Charter (June 2020)
- Financial Statement (2020)
- Statement of public value (July 2021)
- GPG Analysis (2018)FinancialStatement2020
- Facility Time
Blackpool Sixth Directors
Minutes of meetings
Minutes are only uploaded to our website once they have been approved.