We are asking all students to bring in a laptop or tablet to their lessons. We feel that having a device in lessons will help us cover material more efficiently in a more meaningful and enjoyable way. It will give us flexibility to blend traditional learning with online work so that whatever the circumstances, students have access to the best possible experience.
All students will be granted access to our online learning platforms which include the tools they need to complete work digitally and unlimited cloud-based storage for all their files.
We actively encourage students bringing their own laptop or tablet but please be aware of the following key advice:
- Students must be able to use/install (free and secure) software on their device and access wifi settings.
- Students must have appropriate free space on the device to store and create work for class (remember – we provide unlimited cloud-based storage, so that doesn’t need to be a lot)
- The device should have a screen size of a minimum of 7″ – tablet devices should be paired with a keyboard case.
- Some low cost tablets (e.g. some Kindle Fire devices) or older laptop browsers may be incompatible with certain apps we require students to use. (in particular the ‘Google Apps Suite’ – Google Drive, Docs, Classroom, Slides, Sheets.)
- We don’t include phones as appropriate devices.
- We highly recommend devices are covered by insurance
Any student who is struggling to pay for the costs of a device can apply for support through the college bursary scheme or the access fund. Applications will be assessed based on household income and the needs of each student.
We strongly advise that any new devices are purchased after enrolment to college is confirmed and final course choices are made.
Further details of the ‘Technology Ready Scheme’ can be found via this link. You can also find an enquiry form for and question you may have or advice you may need.