What is it?
Health and social care is a platform to enter nursing and allied health professions, education and social work. The course involves a range of topics, work related projects and placements, which will prepare you for your future career.
Why study this at Blackpool Sixth?
Health and Social Care students are very successful at Blackpool Sixth Form, they continue to level 3 courses and progress to university and careers in the local community. Alongside your academic studies we have an excellent enrichment programme including guest speakers, first aid training, work placement opportunities and clinical skills workshops with our very own qualifies nurse.
What skills will I develop?
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Evaluation skills
- Application of theory into practice
- Professional competencies
How will I be taught?
You will learn using a variety of excellent teaching and learning methods. Teachers will use real life examples to bring learning to life, your lessons will be engaging and will involve technology, videos, interactive and collaborative learning techniques. Since this subject is part of the technology for learning scheme we will use such devices in lessons in multiple ways; such as quizzes, interactive presentations, team activities and challenges. We aim to continuously enhance your learning through academic trips, guest speakers and investigations into contemporary issues in the news relating to current Health and Social Care practice.
How will I be assessed?
The course is 25% exam and 75% coursework
There are 2 exam and 6 coursework units
Teachers have a range of specialisms within Health and Social Care including; dementia care, nursing, caring for those with developmental disorders, clinical practice/skills, first aid and have taught a range of qualifications including health, psychology and sport.
Within the team, tutors maintain excellent community links with employers to offer a wide variety of work placement opportunities, they also examine for multiple qualifications, including Psychology and Level 2 and 3 BTEC Health & Social Care exams.
Field trips, projects and employability opportunities
Trips that have been run previously are:
- Kidz Up North
- Edge Hill University
- Chester University
- Disneyland Paris Conference
- Dementia Project with Fashion Department
- Worked as within the Teaching Experience Programme
- Mission Christmas with Rock FM
- Mindfulness/Stress Management
- Autism Spectrum Condition Training
- Nurses, Social Worker, Teachers
- Youth Mental Health Worker
- MAC Memory Clinic
- Star Buddies
- Birth Sanctuary
- Clinical Skills – ran by our very own qualified nurse
- All students will complete work placement
Where does it lead?
This pathway acts as a platform to our level 3 Health and Social Care courses such as; the diploma and/or extended diploma in Health and Social Care. Additionally, this qualification could also lead to other level 3 courses such as Applied Science.
Furthermore, our students typically go on to university and gain careers in:
- Social Work
- Sexual Health
- Youth Support Work
This course allows students to develop transferable skills in working with people and so can lead to a wide variety of careers.
What will I study?
- Human Lifespan Development
- Health and social Care values
- Effective communication in Health and Social Care
- Healthy Living
- Promoting Health and Well-being
- Impact of nutrition on Health & Well-being
- Equality & Diversity in Health & Social Care
- Individual Rights in Health and Social Care