The LGBT Group was set up by a former student who felt that the LGBT+ community did not have a voice in College. When it was created it only started as a small group of students. However, over the past years the group and community has grown and is now part of the 6extra programme so every student has the opportunity to join.
Who are we?
Staff Representative, Julie Halliwell, alongside group student leaders (appointed each year to maintain continuity of the group) work closely as a team to plan sessions and events. Everyone is welcome to attend our meetings, you don’t have to identify as LGBT+ – allies are welcome too!
Aims of the group:
- Provide a safe place for anyone who identifies as LGBT+
- Promote inclusion and equality and diversity
- Raise awareness throughout College
- Give support to the LGBT+ community
- Meet new people and form friendships
- Signpost to local organisations