What will you study and other information about A Level Business Studies
- Theme 1 – Marketing and People Have you ever looked at the likes of Richard Branson, Bill Gates or Karen Brady and wished that you had their success? In this theme, you will explore what makes an entrepreneur a success and how to turn a simple idea into a commercial success through looking at the importance of market research, deciding on a target audience to creating an effective marketing plan. You will then act as business leaders and look at the best ways to motivate your staff and the importance of keeping them happy.
- Theme 2 – Managing Business Activities Have you ever wondered how Coca Cola can make 1.8 billion drinks a day or what led to the collapse of some of our most loved brands like Woolworths and Toys R Us? In this theme, you will explore the importance of finance and whether a bank loan is the best source of finance to why some businesses decide to create a mass amount of products at a time whereas others only create a select number.
- Theme 3 – Business Decision and Strategy Have you ever stopped and thought about the brands that you wear/buy and think ‘where did this come from?’ You will be surprised just how many brands have a bit of a ‘dark side’ to them. From Primark and the poor health and safety of workers to Nike and their use of sweatshops. In this theme, you will look at what makes an ethical business, the methods business use to help decide on their next strategy and the importance of managing your workforce to help achieve your strategic aim.
- Theme 4 – Global Business Ever wondered how Apple, Google, Ford and many other massive companies achieved their global success? In this theme, you will explore those avenues from the targeting of growing economies around the world, to China becoming the global manufacturer for many of the goods we buy today. You will also look at how governments are trying to take back a bit of control where you will look at BREXIT and whether Donald Trump’s policies will have any effect on making America great again.
The Business and IT department runs several trips and educational visits throughout the year to enhance the experience of studying subjects within the department. There may be other non-essential educational visits that students can access during the two-year course, such as visits to universities, conferences, businesses and many more.
Students are requested to purchase a non scientific calculator (as mobile phones are not permitted to be used as calculators within lessons and exams)
Students are encouraged to buy this textbook:
- Hodder Edexcel A Level Business – My Revision Notes – A great revision book containing all content from all 4 themes for Business. Includes a handy revision checklist and small questions as student’s make their way through. CAN BE PURCHASED FROM COLLEGE FOR £10 (RRP is £20).
- Tutor2u Calculation Book – A book testing you on all quantitative skills that can be tested in the final exam. (£5 from college)
- Tutor2u Knowledge Book – A book testing your knowledge of all topics from all themes. (£5 from college)
Throughout your two years studying Business, you will have plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself in the subject. We offer a range of international and UK-based trips which include a trip to New York City, where you will experience the major landmarks that have made the city one of the biggest business districts in the world. We offer you the chance to interact with real-life business people and gain insight into the challenges they have faced and how they built up their businesses. In the past, this has included former Dragons Den Investor Piers Linney, who gave a well-received talk on his business successes and the hurdles he had to overcome to get to where he is today.
As a department, we also offer a range of employability opportunities to enhance your skills to gain the career you want to aim for. This includes the Career Ready programme which is a national program designed to match you up with business mentors and gain work experience with national and international companies to further develop your aspirations for the future. We work in partnership with UCLAN, Lancaster University, and UA92 as well as businesses such as Blackpool and Wyre Council, Victrex, and BAE to offer a variety of support to achieve your next steps.
Elliott Gray-Medd, class of 23
HIGH SCHOOL: Cardinal Allen Catholic High School
Elliott studied level 2 and 3 BTEC Health and Social Care, GCSE English and GCSE Maths at Blackpool Sixth. He is now working as a teaching assistant at Red Marsh School. He said “The staff are amazing and so supportive. I wouldn’t be where I am without them!”
Yulan ChanDelaney, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Montgomery Academy
Congratulations to Yulan ChanDelaney for achieving excellent grades in her A Levels! Yulan has excelled with A grades in Biology and her Extended Project and B grades in Chemistry and Religion, Ethics and Philosophy. We are delighted to announce that Yulan will be attending the University of Leeds in the coming academic year to study medicine. Best of luck with your future studies, Yulan!
Adam Walker, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Millfield Science & Performing Arts College
Adam has achieved an impressive Double Distinction star in BTEC Music and a Merit in BTEC Business at Blackpool Sixth. We are thrilled to announce that Adam will be pursuing Creative Musicianship at ICMP, and we cannot wait to see where his passion for music takes him!
Luke Moore, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Lytham St Annes Technology & Performing Arts College
Luke is an incredibly talented student who excelled in BTEC Performing Arts – Musical Theatre, achieving an impressive Triple Distinction Star grade. Luke has decided to take a gap year to audition for colleges but dreams to attend a top London-based college, and eventually make it to the West End. We have no doubt that Luke will achieve great success in his future!
Thirisha Varatharajan, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Baines School
Thirisha Varatharajan has excelled in her biology A Level with a grade of B, as well as chemistry and mathematics A Levels, both with a grade of A. We are proud to announce that Thirisha will be attending the University of Liverpool in the upcoming academic year. We wish her all the best in her future endeavours and can’t wait to see what she will achieve next!
Maddie robinson, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Carr Hill
Maddie Robinson has received a Double Distinction Star and a Distinction in Health & Social Care (Triple). We are thrilled to hear that Maddie plans to progress into employment at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, and we are confident that she will excel in this role. Maddie’s hard work and dedication have clearly paid off, and we wish her all the best with her future. Well done, Maddie!
David Speight, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Highfield Leadership Academy
David Speight gained an A grade in A Level Photography and a Double Distinction Star in BTEC Film and Television. We are proud to announce that he will be moving onto a Level 3 Content Creator Apprenticeship at Ascent Trampoline Park.
Sarah Grogan, class of 23
FORMER HIGH SCHOOL: Montgomery Academy
Sarah has recently received A* grades in maths and physics, as well as an A in economics. We are thrilled to announce that Sarah will be attending Cambridge University to pursue her studies in economics.
No further information available at this time.